Friday, March 28, 2008

Early Morning Battles.

We all have them. Mine have been particularly hard to fight this week...and more than once, I have lost. But, by God's grace I have been made more and more aware of how desparately I need to meet with the Lord in the morning, and as George Meuller says, 'make my soul happy before God'.

That is why this post on the Sovereign Grace blog was so encouraging for me to read today! Here's a few excerpts: (it was a podcast by the SG leadership team)


C.J. Mahaney: Well, what brings me here so early in the morning is my need for the Savior, an awareness of my need for the Savior, and some eagerness that I will,
through my meditation on Scripture, freshly encounter the Savior. So that is
what brings me here. Although I need to add that I am never brought here apart
from a conflict in my soul. Indwelling sin is a particular and formidable
opponent against all practices that involve the spiritual disciplines. So this
does not take place effortlessly. I’m now 54 years old, so even after 35 years,
I can assure you that tomorrow morning when I first awaken, the first voice I
hear will be a voice of protest. That voice will be distinctly the presence of
indwelling sin appealing to me and seeking to persuade me to stay in bed. That
voice never subsides. And that voice also negotiates, so that if I make an
initial movement, that voice doesn’t subside and assume that that voice has
lost. No. That voice continues to exert effort, and then presents to me various
distractions.

.......

Jeff Purswell: So now I am no longer surprised. I can be discouraged at times, but the coldness that I feel just reminds me how badly I need God. Because apart from him I can do nothing. And apart from getting food for my soul this morning, I will be starving.…

Click on the link above to read the whole transcript...lots Biblical encouragement and practical suggestions.

1 comment:

Matt Promise said...

Bethany, as I read your blog post, I was reminded of John Piper (and, of course, me) also having trouble getting out of a nice, warm, comfortable bed some days, to spend time with our God. But John said that as he sits in his study for 30 minutes reading, meditating and praying, his heart warms and he soon gets to the point where he is rejoicing that he got our of bed. He uses that anticipated time as one of his motivators to get up 30 minutes earlier. I'll find the excerpt if you want. I'm sure it will encourage us all.