Monday, February 19, 2007

What is Art?

"Authorities do not agree. Definitions differ.
Who draws the line that separates
Art from Design?
Sculpture from Ornaments?
Poetry from Jingles?
Great Music from Pooh's Hums?
Great Literature from Daily News?
Is Art beauty, or depth, or expression?
Is Art communication calling for response?
Is Art the talent for involving other human beings in what otherwise would remain locked in the mind?
Is Art something that draws many into the beauty, joy, and vividness of another person's understanding?
Is Art something that includes others in the torn struggling of another person's suffering?"

Edith Schaeffer (The Hidden Art of Homemaking)

These are the questions that open a book I just began reading. They immediately drew me into the book since I have had numerous discussions on this very topic! Her answer is the best that I have heard or read. I'll post an exerpt tomorrow...for now I'll leave you to contemplate these questions... what do you think defines art?

No comments: